Pastors in remote areas often have very limited access to Biblical education tools. Most are limited to reading the Bible, with no training in how to interpret the Scriptures correctly. The Shepherd’s Guide manual is a simple manual to get pastor’s started on the road to learning basic theology and methods for sermon preparation, bible interpretation, and understanding of the central message of Scripture, which Christ Himself.
The SG Manual is a tool for those men who have no other resource. It is not meant to be profound, complex, or even thorough. However, it is “profitable for teaching, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness.” (2 Timothy 3:16) For those who read it carefully; can then use it as a pastor’s guide for effective ministry.
Furthermore, most pastors are not yet good disciple-makers. This manual challenges each reader to become a “reproducer”, a man who invests time and heart in our men. It is our prayer that many thousands of pastors in the bush or other remote reaches of the world will find this manual a blessing.
Because of the size of the manual we have divided it up in smaller files. The full Shepherd’s Guide is available here. This will make it easier to download a section at a time for printing or viewing. You can do this by selecting the desired section from the following list:
- Table of Contents
- The History of the Biblical Canon (How we got our Bible)
- The One Big Story of the Bible (The plan of salvation, from the ESV Study Bible)
- The Gospel Story Distorted; the Galatian heresy revisted
- What is the Gospel Story; the message we must preach?
- The Gospel of the Kingdom
- The Gospel as revealed to the Apostle Paul
- The Authority of Scripture
- The Theology of the New Testament (from the ESV Study Bible)
- How the New Testament quotes and interprets the Old Testament
- Our Triune God-the Trinity
- How to read, interpret, and apply Scripture (a beginner’s hermeneutics)
- Water Baptism, its history and meaning
- Water Baptism -Doctrinal Statement
- The Security of the Believer
- Traditions (culture) and the Gospel
- Blessings and Curses in Scripture
- The Obedience of Faith
- Spiritual Gifts-How to Recognize, Exercise, and develop your gift
- A Theology of Suffering
The Pastor's Lifestyle
- Apostolic Passion
- Sermon Preparation-by John R. Stott
- How to prepare a Biblical Sermon (from the DL Manual)
- Born to Reproduce (from the DL Manual)
- The Pastor as a Disciple Maker
- The Pastor as a Church Planter (church planting pro-forma)
- Great Things to Know about Good leaders (from the DL Manual)
- The Servant Leader (from the DL Manual)