Today I read for the first time from my new bible. It is a Gospel Transformation study bible from Crossway publishers. I love it, because it seeks to find and affirm the Gospel in every book of the book. Then I got to thinking about how many bibles I have in this study where I sit. I just counted them-14! Really! Maybe you too have too many, most of us do.
This brings me to how iniquitous our world can be. Today I sent several thousand dollars to Africa to buy Swahili language bibles for over 100 pastors who are trying to shepherd a church without a decent bible to read. They jump for joy at owning a nice bible- yes even a “whole” bible with old and new testaments.
Let me thank those of you my readers who have helped us buy and bring bibles into the bush of rural Africa. It is a great thing to give the gift of God’s Word to an African leader.
BWM has planted over 500 churches and many more small discipleship groups throughout East Africa, Rwanda, Burundi and now the Congo (DRC). It is difficult for you to imagine, but in those churches and small groups there is usually only one bible. It belongs to the leader or pastor. The common folks like you and me, have never owned a bible. Most will never own one in their lifetime. This reminds me again of several remarkable truths:
- You and I are blessed to the point of being spoiled and often blind to how spoiled we are.
- Your bible is available on your shelf, on your iPad, on your phone, even on audio so you can drive and listen at the same time!
- Yet the vast majority of earth’s population have never seen nor touched the book of books. They have been deprived of God’s voice spoken clearly in His Word.
- Yet as unfair as this is, we can do something about it. I just did that. In our BWM office in Nairobi, Kenya there are 300 study Bibles ready to be distributed to Pastors in the bush. It will cost many $$ to get them in the hands of pastors, because they must be trained even how to use a study bible.
- So, help me help them. Go to our web site donor link and buy some bibles today. Sacrifice your lunch and give $10. Get involved with us or others like us to get The Gospel message to those still unreached.
The simple act of reading my personal copy of God’s Holy Word is my reminder that I am accountable for others. Let us join hands and do more together than we can ever do apart.